Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bit of a Backstory

I needed a separate place to put all my navy stories...
so that's what I'm doing.

My blog for regular life can be found here: awholelotofsomethin'

I first thought about joining the Navy the week of April 22, 2009. But I didn't want to waste my time or the recruiter's time, so I tested myself that Saturday, the 25th. I didn't actually meet my recruiter until April 29th, 2009. On Memorial Day, I went to the Navy museum in Keyport and got even more inspired. On June 23rd, I watched the "Carrier" series from PBS... still thinking about it. On July 23rd (this is becoming a pattern), I toured the USS Midway Museum Ship in San Diego while on a mini vacation. On August 28th, I filled out the preliminary medical forms... I took the ASVAB on Friday, September 25th... On October 2nd, I decided to go for ET instead of RP... as a side note, I saw the President's Own in concert on October 4th: they played "The Glory of the Yankee Navy". October 16th was the meeting with my recruiter when I found out it was hard for me to drop weight... but I joined the Future Sailor Program anyway on Saturday, October 24th, 2009, when it was still called the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), and I am contracted to ship this fall as an Electronics Technician. Here's a post from my first required additional recruiter meeting from Friday, Nov. 13th... and on Sun. Nov. 15th I watched a short video about Recruit Training that I had received from my recruiters in October. Here's my Dec. 7th post... And from Friday, Dec. 15th, another meeting is recorded...

My office is based in Bellevue, and I have the most dedicated of Petty Officers for recruiters.

Thanks very much to the office lead, ET1 Jordan, who is my inspiration for what I want to do in the Navy, and my model for becoming the best sailor I can; and to my own recruiter, STG1 Lonesome, who was wonderful by helping me through my decision and past my fears and who motivated me and who continues to challenge me to keep doing better every day. And PC1 Brusse, who gave me a different, helpful perspective on the Navy. They are the perfect team; willing to talk about what it's really like, and always wanting to get us as ready as possible for training and the fleet.
I've been blessed by you three! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment