Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why I Joined

The idea struck me one day in mid April, 2009, as I was sitting at my desk at work. My little brother had just shipped off to Marine boot camp the month before after several months of difficult waiting.

It's not that I have a bad job: lots of different things to do, lots of great people to talk with, a generous amount of time off during the year, good pay, outstanding coworkers and a great boss. It's only that I felt called to do something more with myself than just go to the office every day and try to have fun on weekends and on vacation time. I've been living for myself non-stop since I graduated from the University of Washington in 2006, and I would rather serve someone else for a while.

I'm set to become an Electrical Technician, going to school for a year and a half after boot camp. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do something completely different, while not being financially strapped. This way the Navy would teach me to do something useful with my hands, something I've wanted for a long time. I decided to go for this after listening to my recruiter talk about helping his shipmates with their personal laptops or MP3 players for free. Also, I want to be available to talk to folks about Christianity if they ask questions or are interested... something he was able to do as well. When I first thought about this, I looked online at the different jobs and thought seriously about becoming a chaplain's assistant... thinking I might be in a good place to do that. Not only is that impossible, because those office assistant jobs are all full up right now, but I would be seen as "official" from fellow shipmates, and that would seriously interfere with my ability to talk to folks on a personal level. So for the first time, I'm going to school to do science. A couple years doesn't seem too long.

I'd also like to go on and be trained for something else after the military. The G.I. Bill offers an honorably discharged service member $80,000 plus housing expenses for education. I think I might like to get a master's degree in librarianship. Or either a certificate for being a band instrument repairman... or both; we'll see. I have lots of time to think about it. I'm pretty sure I'd like to work at a university.

Why the Navy? Well, I've always wanted to join the military, ever since I was about 12 years old. I've always been fascinated with the armed forces and their history. When I was a kid, it was really just a uniform infatuation. But now, I am amazed at the selfless service of those people in uniform. They give up so much... some for dull reasons and some for good ones. But they all have one thing in common: they all give of themselves for others. I am not an aggressive person. I would not do well on a battlefield, eating dirt. I had a taste of dirt when I did Army ROTC in college. :) I don't mean that to be derogatory... it's just not for me. The Navy offers a unique experience of technical training, military service away from a battlefield, and a long history of tradition dating back hundreds of years.

Not only all this, but my grandfather on my dad's side served in the Navy on the Pacific in the later years of World War II; my father's friend served in the Navy during Vietnam and was led to Christ by a shipmate; a friend of mine from Jr. High joined, and told me I would hate it... LOL, and we were very different; my favorite assistant director in the Husky Band served in the Navy when she was younger; the husband of a dear friend mine served in the Navy as well; one of the nice guys at work served on submarines; and a dear friend of my Aunt's joined as a Seaman Recruit in the '60's, became an Electrical Tech. (like I want to), went to Officer Candidate School after completing his first six years as an enlisted man, and retired a Captain (O-6) after a full 30 years service.

I am going in enlisted. I could have opted to be an officer with my bachelor's degree, but I'd rather learn a job and do something with my hands before becoming a manager. I don't think I'd like that at all. Of course, with my degree it would be possible for me to change my mind if I do. But the real point of all this is to be with people I can minister to, not to get a few extra bucks and skip some unpleasant jobs. If that was what I wanted, I wouldn't join the Navy. Upon graduating from my technical school, I will be promoted to a Petty Officer, Third Class (the equivalent of a Army or Marine Corporal - or non-commissioned officer). Most people don't get to this rank in their first four years. So I'll go in with responsibility and leadership anyway.

This is also great motivation for me to work out and improve my weight and quality of health. I will be constantly encouraged to stay strong and physically fit... a standard that will help me keep my personal goals.

I officially joined the Delayed Entry Program on Saturday, October 24th, 2009. My ship day was officially set for April 21, 2010, but an extension until sometime this fall was officially approved since I need to be at my sister's wedding. I don't know what day I will ship to boot camp yet, but I will make sure and post it when I do.

[September 21, 2010 is the new date!]

I am so happy the Lord has pointed me this way. It will be good for me to get out of the house for a while; I have lived with my parents for 27 years, and am very glad I have, but it is time for me to get out and meet new people and take whatever adventure the Lord gives me. Everything has fallen into place for me to do this now, and I am very excited. It wasn't the Lord's plan for me to join when I was younger; at the time, I didn't understand, but now I see how good this was. I was too young and inexperienced with life in general. I am so glad it wasn't a permanent decision though! :)

1 comment:

  1. Jen- Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. I applaud you for following God's plan for your life. I will pray for you and your new ministry. I'll miss you at work.

    Charity

    ReplyDelete