Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Class N' How to Get Kicked Out

I've nearly finished now with my review of mathematics... only part of doing linear equations in Algebra with exponents is left. And yet again, they warned us heartily about cheating. 11 people were kicked out of school my first day, 6 more yesterday, and I saw the Chiefs come grab one guy out of the class next door to us during our quick liberty brief.

Every topic covered in our lessons has an associated quiz with it. We're only supposed to take each one ONCE, if we don't fail (below 70%... out of a ten-question quiz). Some people take it multiple times, without going back over the lesson... meaning they're trying to memorize the questions so they can score well on the tests. They've been warning us like crazy, but some do it anyway, unbelievably. When that happens they automatically get reclassified as undesignated seaman... and get sent to the fleet, usually ending up as deck hands. Or so they tell us. So when I'm going through those quizzes I'm careful to do it right... even a mistake could get you in trouble around here. Everything is online, so every single screen I look at is recorded as to how much time I spent on it. Scary thoughts!

Of course, I haven't even got to class material yet. But at least I know what they're worried about. Overall, I've scored 95% on my ten quizzes, so I'm feeling confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment