Thursday, September 1, 2011

Another Odd One

Today as duty driver I had a pre-arranged assignment. I was to take 13 people, including our chaplain, LCDR Harris, to the Veteran's Hospital in La Jolla at 0900-ish. Since it takes about a half-hour each way, I was supposed to stay with them to make it economical. They were visiting vets to show them we cared, thank them for their service and give us students the experience. We only met a few people (limited time), one a 70+ yr old Air Force 20+ year supply guy, and by contrast, a young Marine, currently an E-4 (just like me), and injured from breaking his neck in football practice. He was incredibly positive, even though it took several weeks just to get little twinges of feeling back in his toes... He was able to move his arms around, but needed a device to help him hold a pen to sign the waiver so the chaplain could take his picture with us.

We had erroneous directions to begin with, so it was a good thing we left early enough to get there on time. He had given STG2 (in charge of duty drivers) directions to the Vet Hospital in La Jolla... which turned out to be the veterinarian hospital. lol! And we had to leave behind one of the working party before we left base in the morning; he had not shaved that morning, and he was caught by STG1 Harvell.

I also got to drive the FC's up the hill to Third Fleet before all this went down... and I filled up the tank at the sub base on the way back in preparation.

When I got back (almost at noon), I had a lunch break. Hibbard was my chow relief and ended up with a run to 32nd and Balboa Medical. I was able to lend my GPS to Dailey and turn in my new BEQ form before hanging out in the office for the rest of the day. I emptied all the trash from the office, and as I was replacing the can liners, I was requested to drive chits down to TSC on 32nd street. It was 1430, so by the time I returned, it would be time to quit for the long weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment