Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Quiz, Test, Now New Topic

That's what short auxiliary classes are like; one yesterday, another today.

Monday morning we had some down time (continued my reading), then we took a 15-question open book quiz, and later reviewed it. I took the trouble to write down the questions and page numbers I found the answers on for my notes. And that came in handy for the 40-question Fathometer final test we had on Tuesday. It was so frustrating, because we had to flip through this extra-wide, 100+ page tech pub to find the pickiest little answers... such as, what hertz does this test point read on this part of the equipment? Beats me. I took a long time (with most of the others) to complete it, and only needed extra help with one question.

Tuesday was also my duty day, but again I was blessed with Supers. So only the morning and afternoon musters.

Today I found out I tied for second, with an 87.5%... which is passing. STG2 said if we failed this, we'd fail the entire set of courses... and possibly be dropped. Apparently, there had been trouble in the past with people not caring about learning the aux's.

Today we started learning our second to last aux. Baldwin and I wheeled the equipment into the classroom from the lab (via the normally off-limits elevator) while STG2 and Wagner managed carrying the 6-inch thick, 8.5"/11" tech manuals. We've moved into another classroom for all of our aux classes. We had time to familiarize ourselves with the manuals, then STG2 pointed out the various components. Otherwise, I only have three chapters left in Battleship Sailor.

I stayed a while on base, reading a little more because I finally had my dental cleaning appointment after class. Once the hygienist started, I was worried she didn't know what she was doing, especially since she poked me in the gums right off the bat. But I completely changed my mind by the end. It was the quickest and easiest cleaning I can remember, and my teeth feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment