Monday, June 25, 2012

Hello, Ship

My RDCs (recruit division commanders) from boot camp told us that our proudest day would be graduation from Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes. We'll just chalk that one up to another boot camp-ism.

It was very easy to check out from TPU (transient personnel unit) this morning. Although there were a couple other people going to the Truxtun, I was the only one in Whites. Lined up in the front again for muster, as on Friday, was dressed off boot-camp style (dress right, dress!), and responded to my name with my ship's name. After that, just needed to fill out a half-page form and a 2-page questionnaire about what I thought about TPU... and then I was let go.

Drove over to the piers and found a parking space a ways away from where they said my ship would be. Interestingly, as I walked along past the ships, I came by the USS Kearsarge, the namesake of my building (Ship 11) in boot camp. Docked to the next pier was the USS San Antonio, so big I couldn't see anything else nearby. I began to wonder if my ship had come in yet... but as I kept walking, suddenly there she was!

This was indeed my proudest day so far. The Truxtun is beautiful! STG2 told me they all put a lot of work into it the last couple months for the filming that's going on even now. I had to wait to go up the accommodation ladder because there was a crane working just next to it. But soon I went up, saluted the officer of the watch and held out my card like I've been trained to for a long time now. Shook his hand as he welcomed me on board. The CMC was on hand as well and shook my hand too. Everyone was very friendly. Soon an STG came up to bring me down to Sonar... on the way down I met my sponsor, and she set me up with a rack before we went to meet Senior Chief and the rest of the division.

We spent the morning together, my sponsor and I. Went to admin and filled out some forms... then found out I had an assigned rack, so I moved my bag to #30, which is a top rack near the central head, but out of the way of traffic. I didn't realize it at first, but the one I'm assigned has lots of head room, since there's no rack or ventilation pipe overhead. I think I'll like it pretty well. Changed into my NWUs while we were there and locked up my Whites in my little stand-up locker. I was warned that there are a couple thieves in the female berthing. STG2 then took me on a short tour, and then we had fried chicken at the galley for lunch. The food was alright (even some egg drop soup and egg rolls) and then we went back to Sonar before knocking off for the day.

I'm still excited about my assignment here, so I guess that's a good sign. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment