Saturday, March 2, 2013

In & Out

Last week we came back in from our month-long underway, but I only had a few days before I took a 4-day leave to spend with my parents and husband; and what a wonderful break it was! But when I came back, I had to stay on the ship for three straight days, although we were only getting underway for one.

TUESDAY 19:

Liberty expired on-board early all week... and Sonar got two new people! I was assigned to help STG3 and STG1 check in, and that constituted my entire workday. Even though we were let go in the early afternoon, we managed to get half the sheet signed off. Checked them in with Senior Chief, our Division Officer and Department Head, our Master-At-Arms for berthing, the Naval Counselor for career stuff, got the ball rolling on their Navy Cash Cards (for use at the ship's store), set up their ship's mail, signed sheets with the Force Protection Officer, and met a few others. 

WEDNESDAY 20:

Was my DUTY DAY. More check-in work (including with the CO). Had to pack up all our personal gear from the underway and cleaned up Sonar 2 & 3. Went through the desk in Sonar 2 and found a sea bag in the back corner that belonged to a Sonar Tech that was long gone from the ship. Polished brass in the dome cage with the rest of the division before they were let go in the afternoon. On my own in Sonar 1, I studied my Safety PO qualification on the computer at the desk; we had no duty section training due to the busy ship's schedule so it was a quiet evening. For watch, I stood my very first Petty Officer of the Watch watch on the last rotation and I got to know the OOD (officer of the deck - in port) pretty well. As interesting sides, we had a skewed brow from the movement of the ship and had to get ahold of the Port Engineer to fix it. Just as we were almost done, there was another toxic gas alarm on the refer deck and we had to advise everyone coming aboard. I was excited to be the one to "bong on" the CO when he arrived (4 bells, "TRUXTUN, arriving" over the 1MC) but he came after I was relieved.

THURSDAY 21:

After checking my weapon back in with the gunner's mates and grabbing breakfast, I signed for yoke (material condition of doors and hatches) and did the muster report (STG3 did the daily maintenance). Although the ship was very busy in general with inspectors, our division didn't have much going on. Our check-ins got set up with Medical and a few others though. Conducted sweepers back aft and let go by our Division Officer (DIVO) in the afternoon. Checked out on leave with STG1 as the OOD, and I drove STG3 home as we left together.

FRIDAY – MONDAY OFF! And it was very fun indeed! We saw Jamestown, the naval base, Les Miserables (the new film), then drove over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, walked the beach at the state park, and the last day, drove down to North Carolina to see Kitty Hawk and Roanoke Island.

TUESDAY 26:

Another DUTY DAY; I made myself ready for a 3-day underway as we had to stay on board the night before Thursday's early morning underway. Arrived very early after dropping off my husband and went to Sonar first to drop off breakfast before officially checking back in from leave on the Quarterdeck. Went to duty section turn-over as usual, and before lunch managed to eat all the leftovers from the Macaroni Grill. Had an MWR meeting after lunch, then started work on the Fatho pre-underway check which lasted through Sonar's drill. Worked on ESWS after everyone left, and tried to complete another check. Training on mess decks was short and sweet; we talked about what to do if there was a swimmer near the ship and how we would attack an Alpha fire in a forward space. Was POOW again for the mid-watch, and the OOD (former Sonar Tech, now officer) and I talked about the schedule, the command and what it was like for him to become an officer. Was able to talk with my husband briefly before and after watch.

WEDNESDAY 27:

Woke up by CSOOW 15 minutes before my alarm to check all the Sonar spaces for flooding. Ended up being a false alarm and I did the dailies after changing into my uniform. Had a quick breakfast because of duty sweepers on the Quarterdeck and Aft Missile Deck. Finished up muster report as Quarters started, and called away for the duty section setting up blocks on the flight deck because of the base drills. Finished the Fatho check with my LPO, signed for that and the other in CSMC as well as train on another for our antenna. Did some training with FC1 for the CSMC watch station, then attended a Sonar drill in the afternoon. Called Dad at dinnertime, went to the Navigation brief after than, then waited for Chief for a half-hour for my CSMC oral board, passed it, and called my husband.

THURSDAY 28:

And finally, the underway! Early breakfast, set Sea & Anchor soon after. Little trouble with the Fatho because of what we had to do for the check the day before, but had it working in no time. Ended up being a two-hour watch including the SOA inspection we had. The most fun I had this underway was helping the Gunners load our 5-inch gun before lunch. I helped pass the ammunition, praise the Lord, which was canisters of gunpowder three-and-a-half feet long! My only Sonar watch was after dinner (section 3 of 4) in which I went to another Navigation brief and did some training on our job-writing system. Can't wait for the day when I don't need training every time I turn around.

FRIDAY MARCH 1:

Before we returned to port, we had an early CONREP (connected replenishment) RAS (replenishment at sea). This was the first I participated in, as I replaced an STG3 who was on emergency leave. It was so bitterly cold in the wind that within minutes my face, hands and legs were getting numb. In fact, the moment I stepped out the port break onto the forecastle ("foc'sle"), the wind was coming by so fast I could not breathe for a moment (until I turned my head away). When the line and cable were finally across, (we'd rotate as we walked the line across the deck... too difficult just to pull) I was the first in line as we sent it back over to the USNS vessel. Then we were rotated in to help with the distance line (line up forward with little distance-marking flags to show the OOD exactly how far we were from the other ship). About a half-hour after we finished (just time to eat my bagel from breakfast), we were called away for FWWD (fresh water wash down), my station being on the aft missile deck with weapons department. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as cold (we weren't in the direct path of the wind there), but still enough to the point where I was glad of my earmuffs. While this was still in progress, Sea & Anchor was called away for getting ready to enter port. And we were pier-side on schedule! Had to wait for shore power to get connected before we were allowed to take out the trash and leave for the weekend. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment