Friday, April 12, 2013

Half-Day Duty and a Week of BAAR

Why is it that the Navy calls a bed what the rest of the world calls a torture device?

:)

Yes, I did toss and turn in my rack on my duty day... and usually it is a little tough on my back, but maybe that was because I was very used to sleeping at home for a while now.

I've been very excited, anticipating going to the Basic Acoustic Analysis Refresher (BAAR) class ever since I checked on board nine months ago. It goes over nitty-gritty Sonar Tech stuff that I haven't had a chance to practice since I learned it over two years ago. In fact, I had forgotten so much, I scored a 25% on our pre-test on Monday... and that's 5% above average. Comparatively, I got an 86% on today's written test, coupled with a 100% on the analysis part. I forgot how I enjoyed doing it, since I know what I'm doing again!

The class lasts from the morning to the early afternoon, so on my duty day, Tuesday, I went back to the ship after class. I was so relieved to know I didn't have watch (so there was no schedule conflict), but when I stepped onto the quarterdeck, the section leader was standing OOD, and she told me I had the evening contact sentry watch. This I did not mind at all, since it's been a few months since I've stood it... and it's during all the duty section happenings, such as sweepers and training. And this was our first really warm day... 89 degrees!... so warm that after the sun went down, the breeze coming off the water was still refreshingly warm to cool. I've never enjoyed a watch so much! 

And I had a couple hours before I had to go stand it. I routed a leave chit, and attended two meetings (MWR -morale/welfare/rec.- and then Safety). There was also a fire drill that I got dressed out for, and for the first time on board, actually went on air! I was a boundary-man for Sonar 1, as the drill was right above it. This was a more formal drill than usual... inspectors on board to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment