Friday, April 26, 2013

Questions, Questions

Every day was a longer day this week... getting out between 1530ish and even 1700 once. But once I have in my mind that it's going to be that way, there's no getting frustrated about waiting to be let off. I've kept myself pretty busy every day, even when I had to come up with things to do myself.

Monday was, as I said in the last post, taken up with LOK tests and an NKO course about cyber security.

Tuesday it was more of the same for the division, but I also worked on a fathometer check... one that's notorious for being difficult to understand. I was running up to ask the ETs (electronics technicians) questions all day about this cord or that part or the test equipment itself.

Wednesday, I was directed to work on the division's consumables issue (we haven't had anyone who knows how to order office supplies in over a year... I asked a lot of questions of supply in the last couple weeks) and managed to get a list sent out for a quote.

Thursday was the very late day. I got the quote back from SERV MART (local government supply store), worked on getting that information printed out on the right form and routed with an official USS Truxtun "Action Correspondence Route Slip" to my department head for approval (with running it by my LPO/LCPO first, of course). And there were a couple MRCs that needed completing too.

What made the day super late was a combination of things. My duty section had to run a DC drill, even though it wasn't my duty day. They did this to make sure people were available and not on watch during the full-scale drill. I was assigned as a "Utilityman"; this meant that I set boundaries or smoke screens, or whatever was needed. They did a "white smoke" drill, and I learned how to set a smoke shield around a doorway that responders had to have open for the fire hose to go through.

The drill went pretty well... it's just that the brow cracked right as the drill was getting over, so the brow was secured (no one could leave!). And it was after 1600. I ate dinner, since I was there, and enjoyed the tasty steak cubes that were on the menu. Then I went back to Sonar to continue consolidating our acoustic analysis charts. The brow was repaired and opened around 1630ish, but I stayed a bit longer to finish a certain page I was working on.

Friday was great fun! Did one check, worked on more charts, received a package from the pier for the division, and then got dressed up in my service uniform (khaki blouse, black pants/cover) in order to go to a GMC's (chief gunner's mate) re-enlistment ceremony downtown, on the forecastle of the USS Wisconsin (BB-64). Thankfully, I remembered to go back to Sonar 1 for my 2nd class crow pins before I got to the quarterdeck. I had to take off my 3rd class ones... don't think I've worn the uniform since standing watch in San Diego at school!

The ceremony itself was the nicest I've been to. The Weapons department head was there to read chief's bio, and another Lieutenant (who was a long-time friend) said a few words and gave out the certificates. First, chief was honorably discharged, then after a few words, he took the oath of enlistment again, and even his little kids participated (and got certificates too). Then the party retired to Buffalo Wild Wings by the MacArthur Center Mall for a celebratory lunch. I had picked up STG3 so she could go too, and I drove her home as we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment