Friday, October 18, 2013

Yorktown II

the Return to Yorktown...

We had Monday off for Columbus Day, and that gave me at least a normal weekend to relax, since I had duty on Saturday. But liberty expired a little earlier on Tuesday for our scheduled underway to Yorktown for a weapons on-load. I was getting a ride home with some other Sonar Techs that evening, so I didn't bother to bring my digital working uniform, as the underway uniform is coveralls. I un-characteristically arrived in civilian clothes to do so. What's the point of changing into a different uniform within an hour or so? None at all. My watch station for the very long Sea & Anchor between Norfolk and Yorktown was in Sonar Control, but as we neared the VA-17 bridge on the York River, I was told to go arm up for Petty Officer of the Watch (it wasn't my duty day, but they were utilizing people from "sister sections"... usually for when we drop down to 3 sections instead of 6). So I was allowed to arm up in coveralls instead of the usual working uniform... and I got to the Quarterdeck (on the flight deck that week) just as we were passing the bridge. Two sections of it broke apart and rotated 90° as we sailed through. Had to stand the watch for about four hours, even though it was only supposed to last a few minutes. The guy on the watchbill was busy with the anchoring detail, so there I was... and without the bell. As soon as the brow was open, the base XO, a Commander, came aboard. We tried desperately to get the bridge to ring him aboard (they always have a bell up there), but they wouldn't for some reason. Not a great way to start. But soon after watch, those of us who had rides were on our way home. Didn't get back to my car in Norfolk until 1800.

Wednesday I worked as Phone Talker for the aft launchers, to make sure everyone's fingers and toes were out of the way below as the missiles came down. And Sonar took on some torpedoes... which were awful to get out of their cases and into the magazine. Just the cases themselves were pretty heavy... and super awkward to carry... I had several bruises on my shins before we were done. Didn't get to leave until 1840.

Thursday I wore a worker's back brace... and boy, did that help! Did a little more Phone Talker, this time up forward in the morning. In the afternoon, Sonar helped out the Gunners with the 240 ammo (which required a two-man carry at 90+ lbs a box). Afterwords, I went down to the deep magazine to help with the five inch rounds. Got off about 1730... and I was all a-glow... my husband was flying in at 1800 to spend the weekend with me (and would have been there for the Tiger Cruise - family ride-a-long - if it hadn't have been cancelled due to a lack of money). But at least I was able to give a tour in-port Norfolk when we got back on Friday. And that way, he and my sister (who was also visiting) got to see more of the ship than if we were underway anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment