Friday, January 31, 2014

A Watch of a Kind

The main focus of these last couple weeks was to complete our required maintenance check that requires divers to go into the sonar dome after it gets put on air (normally it is filled with water). But because of the frigid conditions in Norfolk these days, it got can-ex'ed (Navy slang for cancelled). The diver's gear was frozen solid, so they simply couldn't do what was required. We're in three-section duty this week... so Tuesday, we completed the water-to-air interchange, which required me to get there super early to work with Senior Chief on getting it done on time. Went off without a hitch, but since we were so busy all day, us Sonar Techs on duty were taken off the section's watchbill. We had our own watchbill... to monitor the dome pressure in the dome cage (where all the pipes and valves for air and water are). It was freezing cold up there. I had my sweat pants on under my uniform... and I was still cold! It was sort of dull duty, so to keep warm I shined some of the brass valves (which kept me much warmer as long as I did it).

Because of the weather and the amount of snow on the roads on base, the base was shut down and only "mission essential" personnel were required to be at work, so right at noon (the set turnover time) the off-going section was let go! Not only that, but we weren't required the next day on Thursday either! A free day off! And today is my duty day as well... and we had a two-hour delay (extra sleep time!), then I had a dental appointment first thing after quarters. We put the dome back on water, and that took a few hours. Then I was able to do duty section things again... there was a great need for sweepers, since people had tracked tons of dirt onto the quarterdeck with the snow... and we had to clean it up. Kind of difficult, since a bunch of it was mud... but we did pretty well. Then I helped my people with a check on our cooling skid, which dragged out way too long. Then I spent the next couple hours before watch fixing cracked lagging in a few of our spaces. I love fixing things!


No comments:

Post a Comment