Sunday, December 14, 2014

TAD

That's Temporary Assigned Duty... I was offered the chance to serve with the CNRMA Honor Guard. That's Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic, to those of you unfamiliar with military acronyms.

I didn't find out that I was accepted for the post until I returned from two weeks of POM (post overseas movement) leave. I came back to the ship on December 3rd (a duty day... but all I had was the watch in Maintenance Central... so it wasn't too bad at all), and had three days with my division as usual. And I was told on the 4th that I was transferring "that week". Boy, was that a surprise! So on Friday (after a full morning of getting things straightened out with my division) I found out where my new command was... after an hour or so of searching. I met the LPO and turned in my paperwork and he told me what time to show up on Monday.

That was last week, my first with this command. Did a little bit of checking in with Admin and whatnot on Monday, then proceeded to train with flags and rifles for the rest of the week. The first day with rifles made my right hand and my left hip rather sore, but I learned it.

Our job is to perform military honors at funerals, and I am very grateful to be given the opportunity to serve this way. The assignment is for six months too. I am excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment