Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Duty, Dreadnoughts & Taking Charge

I had it stuck in my head that watch started at 0630, like all the others do, when I signed for it on the watchbill yesterday. So I got up at 0530 in order to get breakfast beforehand. But on my way over, I thought about it and realized that if it started at 0630, it would have said 0700 instead of 0600, like it was. Arrived at Bldg. 52 (named Sims Hall for Admiral Sims) at 0602... and there was a chief waiting. :( He called the quarterdeck after I apologized to let them know I had arrived. It's the only five & a-half hour watch that starts at that time and it was my first time standing it. My watchbill coordinator called my phone to get me on watch right as I assumed it. I hope this doesn't mean I'll get in trouble next duty day.

The watch itself went really smoothly. Between calling the quarterdeck every hour to report "all conditions normal", I kept myself busy by reading "The Dreadnoughts", a book I had picked up for $1 at the library sale a while ago. I'm rather unfamiliar with WWI era naval history, so it was an interesting read. Got through the first 50 pages (all the pictures helped) and got up to the launching of the HMS Dreadnought in 1906. I didn't know that it only had one fight in the Great War. They say the ship itself only rammed a submarine in 1915... It was more important because of what it was than what it did.

This was my first day as a full-fledged petty officer. Some friends congratulated me as I stood my watch, and in the afternoon (after lunch - boy it felt great to sit down! - and back in my NWU's) when I reported to my working party at the base hotel, I was put in charge of the group. We had to un-pack about 10 refrigerators, get rid of the cardboard and Styrofoam, sweep up and load 3 other fridges on the truck. Since I had done this before, I knew exactly what to do, and we did it fast. Relly (the BPO) and his assistant congratulated me on my advancement as well. They are such nice guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment