Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Odd One

PT was pretty normal... cardio day, so I did 20 push-ups, then a 1.5 mile on the elliptical (for 15:45), then five minutes on the rowing machine, then another 17? push-ups, then 60 sit-ups... and I was well exercised. Had eggs and cereal at the galley after my shower, then I reported to class.

But we didn't do much today. I did the lab of loading a software program onto a PMD (laptop) in the last group yesterday - staying later to do it too - so I knew that at least two hours were going to be eaten up with other people doing the lab. So I brought a book. I ended up reading over 60 pages. The only other thing we did was try burning a file to a disc via command lines in the terminal screen.

So most of my day was spent off the coast of Okinawa in April 1945. Arnold S. Lott wrote "Brave Ship, Brave Men" about the destroyer USS Aaron Ward: what it was like on the picket-line, standing watch to intercept Japanese planes intent on crashing themselves into anything afloat, and what happened when they did. I started it before joining the Navy, but couldn't make it through it because of the dullness of the Sailor's duty during their unending watches. However, now I find it riveting. I've read it on watch before, and now I am almost done. Found it because it's on the MCPON's reading list. Very good, indeed! Those Sailors fought ten kamikazes in 52 minutes... and some survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment