Friday, July 20, 2012

Cables, Duty and Sweepers

It was Tues. the 17th, that I volunteered to stay late and help STG2 with the Tech Reps.

The day was taken up with cleaning and training for two different qualifications... one for being a tech, and one for watch-standing. I got the last signature on my MOOW (messenger), but had to get into my dress whites to do so. It was about making a report to the CDO (command duty officer), and I was sort of thrown into it... met him on the smoke deck, and he wanted me to give it to him right there. I thought the guy I was with was the messenger, but he turned out to be UI'ing... the actual messenger came along after I had started. I kind of botched it, reading the proscribed message from my little notebook. But the Lt. and nearby chiefs thought I was "shit hot" (lol - it's a compliment; I promise) for working on my PQS when it wasn't required. I offered to say it all again, and I did better. :)

It was 1745 when the Reps came in with STG2. We went below to test some cables, and that took three hours. It wasn't until 2130 that I left the base for a small dinner break away from the ship. Enjoyed some soup, salad and coffee at a local place before I returned to crash in my rack. It was a pseudo duty day of my own making.

I spent five hours over the next couple days screwing those cables back in. What a job! I sweat so much, I had to de-blouse to keep reasonably cool in my blue undershirt. The last day, STG2 complimented me on doing a good job... he knew it was tough.

My actual duty day was rather uneventful. I did spend two hours talking with the OOD and POOW on my Petty Officer of the Watch qual... and that fried my brain. I was grateful for the training, but boy, was I ready to sit down after that. The next day was Friday, and most of that was taken up with a good field day... or what we affectionately call "sweepers".

Twice this week I tried out the gym across the street from the piers. They have a six-lane indoor pool... and I swam 1,000 yds the first time, and over 500 the next. Very glad to have that nearby! Low-impact cardio! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment