Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What a Way to Bring in the New Year

We turned over leave periods on Sunday the 30th... muster was at noon, and we were let go at 14. It felt like deja vu as we lined up in Sonar 1 for quarters. Strange to be back in uniform, but I didn't mind at all since my Christmas leave was so wonderful and relaxing. While we waited for the muster report to be registered in admin (so we could leave - it makes sense, I promise!), I organized my drawer and shined my boots. I didn't mind leaving when they let us go, either. :)

Had to be there at normal time on New Year's Eve for my duty day... my first one since August (before I was a FSA)! I had the last watch, so it wasn't a problem that I had inadvertently arranged for a dentist appointment that morning. Went to turnover in the morning, then left a bit later for Dental. The folks there are very accommodating, and the doctor was even friendlier than my civilian one back home (retired Navy). I first had an exam with the doctor, then a walk-in cleaning at the clinic upstairs. Went straight back to the ship (felt bad for leaving it while on duty) and had lunch. In the afternoon I stenciled all the pipes in the dome room. It was the only job for the day, and I was glad of it! It ate up two hours! :)

Other than that, I watched some football on the mess decks during dinner and afterwords, and only got about an hour-and-a-half sleep before I got up to usher in the new year with my husband on the phone. It always surprises me how fast an hour will go when I talk with him. Right after his new year, we hung up because I needed to arm-up for my contact sentry watch. I was pretty excited, actually, as I walked down the pier with my weapon belt strapped on. Although it was my first armed watch, I was the senior petty officer present, and made all the log entries. The cold wasn't too bad with all the layers I had on... it was my poor feet that hurt after standing so long. Very glad to do my duty though. Finally, I am a help to my section.

The next morning I was wiped out after turn-over. I was falling asleep as I sat down in Sonar, waiting for the CDO (command duty officer) to announce the official turnover. I went straight home and took a three-hour nap. What a blessing that it was a holiday and I could do that!

Today I had another dentist appointment early, so I went straight there. They were fixing a cracked sealant, and they did more than expected because there was a bit of decay underneath. So my lower left jaw had to be numbed... but I was so glad! I think this was the problem I had right before I joined the Navy... but I (or anyone else) couldn't figure out. It was terribly sensitive in boot camp, but had since mellowed out. How wonderful! Anyway, I returned to the ship as soon as I could, checked in with my acting LPO, and went right to work with our STG3s on sanding our cooling skid. Made a make-shift needle gun out of a screwdriver and hammer for some rust in tight places... and then we painted. Gave one of the 3rds a ride back to their housing on the way home. I'm feeling pretty up-beat about the Navy at the moment. Our new 1st class complimented me on my shiny boots today. Funny how little things like that mean so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment