Thursday, July 18, 2013

Back In Port

We tied up to the same berth we had before we left... and boy, was that a relief... to be able to go right to your car! I had heard we'd be coming back to a different one, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Tuesday the 16th, it was pretty hard to go back into work. I don't remember much from it... pretty non-descript day. I know there was quarters and sweepers...

Yesterday we were pack mules. First I had a Combat Systems drill (which went really well), then I helped with the stores on-load evolution. Lots of drinks and snacks being stocked up... I was being passed cases of soda from the Executive Officer! Pretty much everyone helped out. But right after that, there was an on-load of lots of heavy stuff for my division... the XO asked anyone to help us, and we got quite a few to help... especially officers and chiefs. Once we staged everything on the boat deck, I was passing things between the Command Master Chief and the Executive Officer!  The rest of the day I cooled off in Sonar 1, working on the next batch of Open Purchases. I went into the maintenance cards to look up some specific required cleaning materials by their part numbers. Suddenly, we were let go! Time passes while you're busy!

Today I spent the day handling ammo... all day, either waiting to handle ammo in the heat on the forecastle, or down in the deep magazine ("deep mag") forward, next to sonar. I'm pretty tired, since we were carrying very heavy charges and shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment