Saturday, October 26, 2013

Back to the Classroom

After a week of working hard and staying late... for Sonar, it's another week of working hard and staying late. I mean, isn't the weekend enough of a break? :)

Early Monday morning, I dropped my husband off at the airport and still had time to come home and eat breakfast before changing into my uniform and reporting for duty... at a schoolhouse. We had special Sonar training and drills all week... the first two days for five of my fellow Sonar Techs and I were taken up with in-depth training for the environmental computer system we use to predict what sound will do in water... and therefore help us understand the best setup to use for Sonar.

Starting Wednesday, we had scenarios all day every day... and I was finally able to get formal training on the sonobuoy processing "functional segment"... a fancy phrase we use for a computer program. I'm excited about learning it because it's fun, and it's my next step on the path to becoming Sonar Supervisor.

My duty day was Thursday... since I was busy with Sonar, I didn't have to go to Turnover or Sweepers. After a brief training on the messdecks after dinner, I did some more training with the Sound & Security (engineering person who monitors water systems) watch-stander as he did his rounds. Got some sign-offs for ESWS and my OOD PQSs. Had the Mid-Watch as POOW on the Quarterdeck. I was so tired afterwords that I forgot to call my husband (we talk every night). I got three hours of sleep before I had to get the system up and in training for the day's scenarios; it had to be taken down for my maintenance check on Thursday.

Friday was a big day for Sonar. My Senior Chief transferred to his new command around noontime. We gathered on the forecastle for a medal ceremony, hugged him goodbye, then lined up as side boys as he was "bonged" off the ship. Two bells rung, "full rank and name, departing." [Commanders (O-5) and above get four bells or more (Ding, ding. Ding, ding) whenever they arrive or depart.] Whenever someone completes their duty aboard ship and transfers, they are allowed to be rung off. I was sorry to see him go, but I like our new senior chief as well. It was a busy day, too. Immediately after the ceremony, WEPS told us to go to Sonar for the last scenario, although we were already on the move. And first thing that morning, I had a simulated weapons shoot at an indoor range on base. The actual weapons were there (50cal, M240), but they were connected to a computer program as we fired at a screen. It was pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment