Thursday, May 26, 2011

On Watch and (then) Fast Asleep

It was definitely one and then the other!

I had bag check watch at bldg 11, from 0630 to 1130... the first three-and-a-half hours went just fine. Got to meet lots of people, and see my A school chief and petty officers again. But around 0930 we got a call from the quarterdeck, saying they needed someone right away.

I hurried down the hall and found out the turnstile across from the quarterdeck wasn't working, and that anyone could walk right through it (usually you need to swipe a card). So I was posted just inside it, in the bright sunshine, checking ID's to make sure access was still secure. The OOD wanted a Master-at-Arms to watch it, since technically, a base access watch should be armed. But the MA's who came by didn't seem too worried about it. I got to meet lots more people... a commander came over and asked me about it, as well as a chief from the A school.

I did enjoy the sunshine, but gosh, my feet were tired! I was glad of my relief that came right on time. For the first time I got to perform the "pass on all orders to the sentry who relieves me" part of General Order #6. Usually it doesn't warrant it... :) Many students who went by were worried that this was to be a new regular watch. LOL

After being released, I went immediately to lunch at the galley, and then to my room to lie down for a while. Slept soundly for about an hour, woke up and felt my arms were bricks... so I just slept until they lightened up. :) When I did, I read another chapter in "You're Stepping on My Cloak & Dagger" (which I've found to be a story of a young man that could have been Scott Sherwood during WWII). He's a 2nd lieutenant in the infantry who got stuck teaching in Louisiana (and hated it)... so he volunteered for the OSS and recounted his training with lots of sarcastic humor. It's very fun indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment