Friday, July 8, 2011

USS Antietam, Day Two

They came for us! All four of us! ...

Lots of people on the list had one excuse or another, so it was only Falvey and I and two guys. And we got put all different places. So I worked on the same bit of weather deck that I did on Wendnesday, with the same guys from the Deck department (boatswain's mates, or undesignated seaman). Seaman Sigala was in charge, and he showed me how to use a needle gun. It may sound terribly exciting, but all it looks like is a power tool with around eight rods sticking out the end that vibrate up & down extremely fast, making it useful for chipping paint. :)

And chip I did, for many hours. But they seemed to fly by. For this first experience, I enjoyed it. It helped I was working with guys that appreciated me... Sigala kept giving me "thumbs up" to check if I was alright because it was so loud. Ear-plugs & safety glasses... and next time I'm gonna want breathing protection. My nose was covered by the end of it all. :) He also said I was really good at it, and hopes I'm coming back on Monday. :)

At lunchtime, I didn't have anywhere to hang out, except at the galley. A CS1 asked me if I was hungry (it didn't open for another 15-20 minutes), and I confirmed. He told me to follow him, and then to help myself to lunch before it opened! Of course, all the people "cranking" (helping out serving the food or cleaning) were finishing up their lunch while I sat down. Somebody in the p-way (passageway) asked if I was cranking... to his bewilderment... since I was not a regular part of the crew. I explained that CS1 was only being nice. I simply hung out there from 1100-1220, as at 1230 we were to start back to work.

In the last hour of work we painted over the areas the guys had honed to bare metal with a red primer coat. It'll get the finished Navy-grey tomorrow, probably. Got back to base at 1630... rather late working day for a Friday, when Holds usually posts at 1030. Gosh! I'm wiped out. Had dinner after I got another room key at the hotel, then cleaned up! Never enjoyed a shower more... and I'm finishing my laundry right now. It's the dirtiest my coveralls have ever gotten. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment