Friday, July 15, 2011

Week-Long Chipping & Painting

Finally it's the weekend! I've gone to the USS Antietam every day (the only on the working party to go every day... making me in danger of having the bad kind of pride that thinks I'm better than the others), when some of the people have excuses every day, and often times, don't come. It was Wednesday when I turned out to be the only one from the working party... but Seaman Sigala and I got a lot done anyway, chipping one area, painting another. Thursday he was busy with watch, so I finished up the grey paint (the second coat) for most of the time. I drove my POV that day and gave everyone a ride back. Today he was around, but it was STG3 Dollhyrniak who assigned us work (he's usually the guy that picks us up and drops us off). I had a storage space on the fantail... and didn't quite finish by the end of the day. It didn't help that it was a late start due to the duty van, and there are a bunch of hard-to-reach spots.

I've found I love working on the ship. I know how to do tasks myself, and it's hard, rewarding work. You can see exactly how much you do! I like the galley on the ship (anything new and different in the Navy is wonderful!), and since we're assigned from a training command, everyone is nice, thanking us for our work and making sure we're taken care of. Today a first class even said he'd check into getting us real protective masks for chipping the rust. We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment