Tuesday, August 23, 2011

HARP Duty, NRS Bellevue

Don't ask me what HARP stands for... I have no clue. It is free leave for two weeks to your hometown (or wherever the recruiting station you came from is). I had to provide my own transportation, and I could not charge the Navy for food, or any other expense. But two weeks and three weekends of leave without it counting against my accrued leave was priceless.

I called Naval Recruiting Station Bellevue on Friday, August 5th, after I worked for the BPO that morning and went to the afternoon muster. They had no idea that I was coming, but LS1 Brusse was more than glad to have me to help out when I told him the news. The duty driver was willing to drop me off at the airport too, so it was no hassle.

Didn't have to report until 0900, Monday morning, the 8th. I was instructed to wear NWU's, so that's what I had on. My first task was filling out new folders with contact info for the 11 high schools and 2 junior colleges the station is responsible for. This took up the first 4 days, 0900 to 1200, when they let me off. But after the first day I decided I'd wear my service uniform like the recruiters were. Decided to leave it there and change into and out of it in the closet, making it easier for me.

For at least two of the days we had Men of Honor playing on the TV in the background... so I got very familiar with US Navy Diver Carl Brashear's story... even though I had seen it several times a long time ago. It did make filling out telephone numbers a little more exciting. Although on Tuesday there was some excitement... someone had written graffiti all over the recruiter's part of the back of the strip mall, and the owner, a painter and a policeman came by to fix it.

I was done on Thursday... and Friday I did all the shredding NC1 Valdez had for me to do, and then vacuuming. I get mixed up about which days I drove myself, and which I didn't, because they all sort of ran together. I think I got off kinda early that day.

Having a weekend off at home was fantastic! And on Monday I had to make work for myself, going through all the brochures and trinkets in the drawers and straightening and organizing. Tuesday and Wednesday I came in with Dad, but they either didn't need me (on Tue.) or were gone at a meeting and told me to come back the next day when I called (on Wed.). Thursday they told me to stay because there would be an inspector coming in at 1000, so I spent the morning wiping down the microwave and desk (and reading All Hands, the Navy magazine) before 1000 came and the inspector never did. LS1 gave me a ride home.

Friday, the 19th, was fun! Got there early at 0730 in PT gear (after dropping my brother off at the airport very early that morning) and rode with them to the YMCA in Newcastle. A bunch of the recruiters, including the division chief who had come by the office on Monday, worked out in a strength and conditioning class for a little over an hour. It hurt to sit down after that... lots of squats, and modified bear-crawls, pushups and jumps.

In hopes of seeing STG1 (my recruiter), I went with them to their meeting in south Seattle. Chief talked a lot about strategies and goals, a couple recruiters talked about assigned topics, and then there was a video conference with the district CO. They dropped me off at home by 1300 and they signed my orders, verifying I was where I needed to be.

I loved it so much! Just to have a break from everything, do something different and see my family for so long. Exactly what I needed! Checked back in here on the ASW Naval Base Point Loma on Sunday afternoon, ready to get back to work the next morning.

On Sunday the 14th, my dad's family had a little reunion in our neighborhood park and my Grandma wanted to see me in uniform... so I obliged her. :) When I got back home from that, my family obliged me by taking an unofficial "official" picture in the kitchen. I wanted one with my new rating badge on... so...


























Nathan and Christina held the flags, Andie took the photos, and also took one while I was moving a bit to the middle of the flags for the second set of pics (that turned out best) and adjusting my necktie.

No comments:

Post a Comment