Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Duties, and I was Nervous

Today I was the duty driver assigned to the Quarterdeck to do whatever needed. I checked out the CO's sedan and the pickup truck, both their property. The sedan was a-ok, but the truck was very low on gas. We're not supposed to let them get below 1/2 tank, and it was under 1/4. The OOD gave me a funny looking key to use to pay for the gas... and after trying the NEX on the sub base, losing the key, asking the guys in the fire station where I'd go to find the special pump that would accommodate the key, and finally finding the key after looking and praying for a while (and talking to the Quarterdeck, because I had a special assignment and I was taking a long time...), I finally found it, got it to work, and got back to base by 0830.

And when I took the truck to go do all this, it was just before quarters, when all the various classes on base line up and report to the LCPO... so I backed up the pickup and drove it for the first time in front of half the base. :)

Special assignment was to drive the ASW Training Center Commanding Officer and Command Master Chief up the hill on Point Loma to a re-enlistment ceremony at Third Fleet HQ. I had exactly an hour to change into my whites so Chief could inspect me and make sure I knew what to do (and what not to do). I went fast. Shined my shoes, blazed through a shower, finished pressing my newly dry-cleaned whites and neckerchief, and got back to the quarterdeck just in time. I was to park the sedan just outside the door, have it running with the door open, stand at parade rest until he came out, come to attention, salute, give "Good morning, Sir", and close the door for him. It's regular chauffeuring... I was a little nervous, but it worked out just fine.

Rest of the day I drove someone to and from a dentist appointment, and then picked someone up from Fleet & Family Housing Services on 32nd. So I didn't get done until 1700... a 10+ hour day. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment