Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Overwhelmed & Acclimated

I've seen so much brass in the last two days... at first it was nerve-wracking to have that many officers of all ranks, of all the sea services (USN, USMC, USCG) in the same hallway. And I was supposed to direct traffic! :) Well, me and nine other seaman and third classes.

We get to the Sheraton on Harbor Island before 0730, and a retired Commander is in charge of us... we're helping him move the conference along smoothly; making sure the officers get to the next session on time. My first few minutes was a little crazy. The commander wanted everyone in the grand ballroom ten minutes before it started. So at around 0735 I open the doors, so folks get a chance. And one minute later a Marine lieutenant colonel is in my face asking me who gave the order... "I assumed I should, Sir." And it was okay, I guess. Not two minutes later, and a Marine major is asking what my rate is... "Sonar Technician, Sir." Response: "Yeah, that has to do with computers. I need you to help me as soon as you're done." That sounded vague, but I said "Yes, Sir." (On reflection, it should have been "Aye, aye, Sir."... oh, well... next time). Turned out it was only loading presentations on hotel computers and setting the NNOA logo as the background, but it was nice to help out the very busy major.

Tuesday was "Marine Corps Day" and the 35th Commandant, General James Amos gave an address at the luncheon about diversifying the Corps. He started off with a history about the first black Marines who had to train at a separate boot camp in North Carolina during the 40's, and how they are planning to honor them this year and capture their stories on video.

Today was "Coast Guard Day" and their Commandant spoke... Admiral Robert Papp. He talked about the Coast Guard's history, which I didn't know much about (In 1787, Hamilton advocated a small cutter fleet to protect the nation's ports when we could not afford a big Navy... and also the dates their responsibilities got piled on... lighthouses, rescues, maritime safety, etc.).

This morning I sat in on the first panel about women in leadership. And I stayed later to hear a presentation on Naval courtesies. The question & answers afterwords was the best part... rules about saluting, colors, the mess decks, etc. And captains were getting animated about it! :)

I hope I can make it back tomorrow after my watch since it is Navy Day, and the CNO will be speaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment