Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Never Stopped Driving

I woke a little to late to do things like use the head or have breakfast (I had to put away everything I left out in my room last night). Made it to check in right at 0630, and since I was the quarterdeck driver, I didn't stop until around 0930 or so. Both the vehicles needed gas... and after I got back with the truck (no problems this time), there was someone to go up to Third Fleet. When I got back, there was another person to go up to Third Fleet, after dropping one off at medical across the street. Then I finally filled up the tank for the CO's sedan on the way back.

I had about a half-hour's break before the next call, and I was able to set up a dental appointment, figured out that, no, I cannot take the advancement exam this Thursday (no surprise... I don't have Time in Rate yet), and get some cash at the ATM. Sat down to do Internet at 1000, and at 1002, ring, ring. "Go pick up Seaman Someone across the street and take them to Balboa Medical." And when I finally returned (just as I got through the gate) they called again and told me to go back to Balboa to pick someone up. Frustrating, but alright... except we didn't have the person's phone #, they weren't there when I arrived, and the OOD just changed over, so we didn't even know their name. Came back late for lunch and empty-handed.

But the Hold's Office was great. My chow relief did two hours and I was able to get a good lunch and lay down for a moment in my room before I grabbed my sunglasses and went back out to run the shuttle for the three remaining hours.

I had two students Under Instruction, and they did all the driving. It had been so long since I did the shuttle, I guided us up Canon St. instead of continuing on to the Sub Base first. Duh! But I caught the mistake before we passed Talbot St. and we got back on track.

Oh, and this morning (and during the first two shuttle runs) I saw the USS Antietam steaming and then docking at Coronado! She must have passed her in-service I helped with in July!

It rained last night and this morning, so this afternoon was oppressively muggy and hotter than usual... and I have an annoying headache. Even with a couple of Ibuprofen this afternoon. It must be because I'm so tired that I hate being here right now. Lord, please, some good sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment