Friday, March 30, 2012

What a Compliment!

Today, as I was cleaning the female head with Witte and Hibbard after class, STG1 Cooper, my mentor, came in and told me an LS2 from TSC was waiting just outside the door to speak to me. Not exactly something I'd expect to hear just then. Sure enough, there were two guys from downstairs waiting to tell me that Chief Cruz wanted to see me ASAP. Suddenly, my heart went all-a-flutter. I was told several times that I wasn't in trouble, but that doesn't matter when a person's been summoned by Chief. I have a healthy, respectful fear of her. She looks out for students, but if you mess up, look out: you'll be hearing about it shortly.

Turns out, I was there because the TSC OIC (officer in charge), Lt. Welsh, wanted to see me. She and a few others had heard about, and looked at, this blog, and wanted to know if I'd be interested in helping out the command PR officer with writing from a student's perspective or whatever else. What an opportunity! Of course, I agreed. We'll see what comes of it... I'm excited.

I ran up the stairs back to class (on the 3rd deck) and stumbled over words, breathlessly trying to tell everyone what happened (and that all was well). Last time somebody had to go downstairs, it was bad news. But honestly, I didn't think of that when I was called.

In other notes, I changed the header of the blog yesterday (after duty section muster, when I went on NKO to get my PARFQ form -physical activity risk factor questionnaire- for the upcoming PRT) when I looked at a short training on Navy social media responsibilities. According to that, the official Navy seal (eagle holding an anchor with the USS Constitution in the background) is only to be used in an official capacity. So I quickly replaced it with a simple logo instead (which is permissible if there is no monetary gain, if used appropriately, and if it's clear it doesn't indicate official association with the Navy). And I added a short disclaimer to the side bar, so this should be completely within regulations now.

My duty day was rather easy again... on Supers (no watch). I almost forgot about the afternoon muster, but thankfully, I remembered in time. That would have been silly since I looked down on one of my classmates for sleeping through the morning muster again. It's not hard, what they want us to do; all it requires is paying attention.

As for class, Monday was pretty normal, doing most of the console power-points. Tuesday, we did one lesson in 15 minutes in the morning, had a normal Quarters (with a very motivated STG2 reading the "training" - a few brief facts about US Naval history), then did a 15-minute lab later in the day. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to bring my book, and a lot of the chat in class was on politics... the thing I hate talking (or hearing) about most. Wednesday I made sure to bring my book, as well as on Thursday, and life was better. Today we did most of CADRT (dead reckoning tracer), but still had lots of breaks, as STG1 had a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment