Friday, April 13, 2012

Deja Vu

I think the Captain is as tired of Sailors being stupid as I am. Less than a month ago we had an open mast, but seven E-1 through E-3s didn't care enough to say "no" when temptation came around. Two guys provided alcohol to four guys and one girl who were underage. They had all been in A-school together last month when they bragged in class about drinking at a sports bar across the street from the base. The two got the full punishment, and the five were tried together after them with most of the same punishment. With the five, he took the cash out of his wallet and threw it around behind him as an illustration. To try to get through to those who need to hear it, the Captain arranged for it to cut into the time we would normally be off... 1400-1500, when most of us are let go by 1100. I got the message last year (my first witnessing of an open mast was May 5th, 2011)... I don't know about these people.

We had a different schedule this morning. Allowed to come in at 0700, then we cleaned a very dirty classroom on the other side of the building for a big building inspection from the ASW Captain. That took us until 0800, when I had an appointment to meet Lt. Ayala in Bldg. 52 with my mentor STG1 Cooper about the Oceanography/Meteorology officer program... what they do and what I could do to become one. I printed out my unofficial transcripts, from the UW and from the Navy equivalency program (SMART) which translates Navy schools and jobs into college credit. The LT thinks I would need to take some higher math classes in order to be considered, after I do OCS and become a regular line officer (SWO - surface warfare officer) for a couple years. I'm not sure it's something I want yet... I'll decide after I get to my ship. STG1 mentioned that the orders for this next month came out yesterday, so I might be getting them next week! We'll see!

I was worried that I was missing an important lecture with Mr. Fontane, but I didn't. I was able to go over everything I missed very easily. Wagner was very kind and helped explain the answers to the quiz questions on the schematic very quickly. Other than that, I started into Battleship Sailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment