Thursday, April 12, 2012

In the Hundreds

Monday was something of a surprise. PT was pretty regular, as were the power-points and lab on the TSP (torpedo settings panel). But after class I had a couple emails from Lt. Castro about meeting up again to talk about formatting, so I arranged with her to meet right away. When I parked in the TSC lot at the NEX, a petty officer was pulling out of his spot, but then stopped, got out of the car and called to me. It was ET1 Jordan, the recruiter-in-charge at Bellevue when I first met the Navy! I knew he was stationed in San Diego now, but I never thought I'd run into him! What a nice coincidence! We chatted, but we couldn't for long as we were in the middle of the parking lot.

The meeting with the LT went well. I hadn't had a clear picture of what exactly she was looking for, but I do now. More of a journalistic approach, with date and place, and even a "thesis". I've been so used to blog writing, I didn't consider someone would want a who-what-when-where-article written like a history paper. But that's what I've got to do.

Tuesday we had no Quarters because the staff had a meeting, or something. This was our test day, though, on the XBT, LAMPS, & TSP. I took the longest time, beating my brains out over two questions... but otherwise it was pretty easy. Wednesday morning, I found out I pulled off a 100%, making it my 3rd in the last 4 tests. Still in third place, but now at a 97.54% (behind Trimpe at 98.67%). There was a lot of down time, but we also started the H&SG (handling & stowage group - for the acoustic sensor). Signed and got my copy of my first evaluation in admin... I officially "meet standards". :) The last thing we did was finally discover the insides of Bldg. 12: ASW command's set-up of the H&SG. But it was just a quick walk-through to get formally introduced to the heavy machinery. Actual practice will come a little later.

Today, I ran circuits with Witte and Hibbard on the volleyball court for PT. A good workout, indeed! So glad to be able to push myself harder with other people. Retired Senior Chief Jerry taught us today. He gave us schematics (as he did back when he taught us the Power Supplies) for the hydraulics and power circuits for the H&SG. Again we broke out our colored pencils and traced some of the lines so we'd better understand what did what. Most of the day was taken up with the 84-slide Functional Interfaces power-point. Gosh! So much!

Back at home I finished the final few pages of the very readable 600-page novel The Sand Pebbles. It marks the fifth book I've finished in class... and tomorrow I'm going to start Battleship Sailor from the MCPON's suggested reading list. It's a personal account of a radioman 3rd class on the USS California from 1940 to 1941. Promises to be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment