Monday, May 28, 2012

Deja Vu

When I last posted about the Admiral Sims book, I did another search on eBay and found this (also for much cheaper on Abebooks):
I started reading it on my flight to see my husband for the holiday weekend and finished the first couple chapters (or 30 pages). It's a big hardbound book: 200+ (8.5/11") pages with small pictures. And it's very interesting! I loved the back-story on submarine development, and now with the focus on how to defeat the new threat. It's a promising read, covering the topic all the way to 2007!

Didn't know that the Irish-American inventor, John Holland, was originally working for the Fenians in Ireland, but finally developed the first working submarine for a competition put on by the United States Navy in 1888. This famous picture of him reminded me in a vague way of Professor Calculus from the Tintin stories who created a submarine (Calculus was actually modeled after a different inventor):




No comments:

Post a Comment