Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Orders!

I routinely checked my orders from home this morning, but this time it had changed! So very excited... I immediately made phone calls to my closest family, then reported in for the morning Holds muster. And instead of a working party, I worked on getting my Sea Duty Screening (medical stuff) on the way to getting completed. Dental was easy, needed an immunization at medical, and signed up for an appointment with a doctor.

I am assigned to the USS Truxtun, DDG 103, home-ported in Norfolk, Virginia. When I got home, I did a bit of research on the various commands it is assigned to, its commanders, and history. It's the sixth ship to be named Truxtun (after one of the first Captains in the US Navy who served on the original Constellation, one of the first frigates to be made after the Navy was officially established by Congress in 1798).

I told my instructors before the muster and they had good things to tell me about the people there. I know one person from the previous Ops class who is stationed on it, and since I emailed the boat this morning to establish contact, I was already contacted by my sponsor, an STG2 who seems very friendly. She friended me on Facebook. :)

The Truxtun joins five other DDGs, three CGs (cruisers) and one FFG (frigate) in Destroyer Squadron Twenty-Two, attached to the USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) - which I was so moved by watching it being commissioned in January 2009. Interestingly, that's the same year my own ship was commissioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment