Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Next Big Read

I had the notion a while back to search "anti-submarine warfare" on eBay, just to see what I'd find. Came across an old book about sub-chasers... a class of ship from the WWI era.  So I googled it, and came across this neat website all about the sub-chasers. On that site I found a different book... The Victory At Sea, by Rear Admiral William Sims... a name I recognized, as one of the buildings on base is named for him. So I looked online at my favorite used book source, http://www.abebooks.com/, and found a copy for $5.51. This, I started on Friday, and finished the first section today.

Can't believe my good fortune! So far he has described in detail the predicament the Allies were in around April 1917... how the Germans were on the brink of winning the war by cutting off shipping to Great Britain. The book deals with how they overcame the submarine threat. A history about the beginning of ASW! And what a jump; last I was reading a personal account from a third class petty officer, now I'm reading about the American naval representative to England in World War I.

Can't wait for the rest of it! As for class, we did what we started out to last week... today we took our second auxiliary test... tomorrow the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment