Friday, June 1, 2012

Last Duty in San Diego

So I never missed a morning duty section muster. :) OS1, our watch-bill coordinator, had to fill some slots due to people classing up at the last minute. I was the only one who raised my hand when she asked who was on Hold. Yikes! She switched me from the last 51 access watch (early Saturday morning) to the five-and-a-half-hour mid watch, and someone who couldn't do that one filled the one I had before. As we straightened all this out, I also got her to sign off on my check-out sheet... I was in the front row.

Had breakfast and lunch at the galley to make my day more simple. I had one sign-off to get on the third deck of the schoolhouse for the mentorship coordinator, then stopped by admin for a few more. Only needing the last day's sign-offs now.

My watch went pretty well... my feet survived: neither of them fell asleep. My new dress shoes are worth their weight in gold (good thing... they were $82). The first couple hours I was alert and gung-ho about getting through it. The afternoon muster went on outside the door, and I had to keep saluting and allowing people to pass, even when I heard them call my name (somebody rogered up, telling OSC I was on watch for me). The next couple hours were much slower, as usual, but I managed to read through the entire Civil War portion of the Navy Chronology book I started last time, and it helped a lot. Traffic was much slower later on, since most people run away from base as fast as they can on Friday afternoons. :) It's a pretty sad existence when you live for a 15-second phone call you get to make every hour, along with a short sentence you get to write in the log. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment