Thursday, May 31, 2012

Wild Couple Days

Tuesday, first day back this week, you know of. After I took care of the orders stuff in the morning, I had another usual workout before the afternoon Holds PT muster. Elliptical and weights for about a half hour.

Wednesday I found out some specifics from my sponsor on the Truxtun, and got a welcome email from my Senior Chief (LCPO - leading chief petty officer). I had my screening with the doctor, and along with getting that done, we found out that we were both very much in to military history. She recommended reading Helmet For My Pillow, and we talked about the Norfolk area. She also had the neatest picture on the wall of her grandmother from 1938, dressed in Sailor dress blues outside a house... sort of like this old recruiting poster, but much more normal. :)

Today was crazy! Went straight into the office and turned in my medical clearance page from the doctor. Then I talked with a lady in admin about the transfer days, about how it meant I could detach anytime in June 2012, not on June 12th, like I had mistaken it for. She gave me an extra week so that I could get money for the transfer in advance (it needs processing time). So it's official: I leave June 8, and with my 11 days of leave on the books and requested, I report on June 19. She told me I'd get up to 8 days back when I arrive. To fill out the form completely, I had to go home and get my banking information... and I let my family know the news. Back at base, they helped me find and print my "Page 2"... proving I was married so that my husband could transfer with me. Then I was handed a checkout sheet. Just like that.

Went straight to Dental, got my record, swung by the Post Office, and they stamped my sheet. Dropped off my car at the NEX so it could be safety-checked for the long drive and smog-checked so I could already have military decals when I arrive, and not have to mess with vehicle access. While I waited for that, I walked over to Medical, got my record (checking out) and stopped by for the checkup on my immunization from Tuesday. Walked a little further and had an outstanding "Mediterranean chicken salad" at the Luna Grill in Liberty Station for lunch, and even caught a little of the women's softball world series on TV. Walked back to the NEX, got the next installment of MHQ, then waited at the NEX garage for the car to be done (reading a great article about Midway... it's the 70th anniversary next week). When I did get it, I cleaned the windows and got gas around the corner, then went to the Sub Base for my decals.

When I got home from that, it was 1400, and time to change into the PT uniform for muster. Muster was short, then I went up to the Cabrillo National Monument for a half-hour run/walk on the 3.2K trail loop. What a view! I forget how I hate running when I'm out there.

Back at base, I called my Senior Chief from the boat to tell him the dates and talk about housing. Cleaned up at the pool house (the gym's showers are closed), then waited for the Van Lady by the barracks to pick up the two extra sets of coveralls (she sewed all those patches on) and the new dry-cleaned dress white pants that I had dropped off on Tuesday.

Then I talked with my family in North Carolina and then my family in Seattle (who are going to North Carolina during the time I'm driving across the country) for a good long time about our very near plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment