Saturday, November 24, 2012

Petty Officer Second Class!

 First call... first call to Colors. (21 NOV 12, 1648)

I made it, I made it!

The scores came out late on Tuesday the 20th... people were finding out on the Navy Advancement Center's page on Facebook. I didn't bother because I thought for sure I'd be disappointed (with that little twinge of hope that never leaves me - I told myself no, but I was bursting with yes, yes, yes!). I heard people get congratulated every now and then, but not me. But right before dinner, someone came by and congratulated me! I could barely believe it! While I was serving, Senior Chief came over to shake my hand, saying I was on a fast pace for first class. :) That night I went to the NEX and got everything I needed for my uniforms.

All the next day, between serving the chiefs, cleaning their heads, laying down a thorough sweepers in the p-way, taking out trash, and doing the scullery that night, I got lots more congratulations. The CO announced the 31 names of people from Truxtun who were advanced over the 1MC during sweepers. People began to leave for our Thanksgiving 96-hour liberty that afternoon. It was very slow during dinner. Couldn't leave immediately though... we had LSC on duty that day, so she inspected our cleanup afterwords. When we did leave, I took my uniforms with me so I could sew the new tabs on the next day (Thanksgiving) at my friend's house.

Although I had Thanksgiving off as well as the weekend, I had to come in on Friday. It was a pretty easy day... Holiday Routine... no Quarters or Sweepers or anything like that. We did have breakouts after breakfast... I shared a pie with my friends during lunch and took a nap in the Chief's Mess during the toxic gas drill that included the mess decks after lunch... and I took all the morning's trash out just before dinner. Worked the scullery all three meals... but very easy as there was only the duty section there to eat.


Signing off for the first time as an STG2 Select...

No comments:

Post a Comment