Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rehearsals and Sunday Duty... to Get Things Done

Thursday the 12th, the ship had a rehearsal for Friday's rehearsal for the stuff we're doing this week. Just as that sounds, it didn't seem like much to us in Sonar, as we were not incorporated into the scenario. Much of the week I spent trying to get Supply and the vendor in town to get our plexiglass screen completed, so it would be ready for this week. It ended up getting paid for on Thursday, so on Friday I was on the phone to the vendor again... and they got it done that morning. I picked it up after work, then installed it while on duty on Sunday. The process ended up being rather complicated, but it got done... and the new screen looks so much better than the old one. It felt good to see tangible evidence of improvement from all my efforts.

Sunday duty went by pretty quickly. I had the first watch... and that was easier than usual since the duty section had a Dress Whites inspection at turnover, then a whole hour of training a bit later. They had every person practice ringing the bell, as well as some vehicle inspection training on the pier. It's much easier to get through the watch when things are going on. I also managed to sweep up around the quarterdeck and in the OOD shack... it seems like it's messy every time I have Petty Officer of the Watch. After being relieved, I ate the tacos I brought from home for lunch, installed the plexiglass screen, then worked a long while (interrupted by Pier Sweepers - stacking 19 stacks of used pallets for pick-up, and then colors) on a brand new maintenance check... which included a very complicated tag-out, and training from someone used to the equipment... my brain was fried by the time I went to bed... which was not long after I cleared the tags.

The hardest thing about Sunday duty is rolling right into a Monday workday. Got up very early to turn the system back on and make sure everything was good to go for integrating with the rest of the ship for the scenarios. We weren't at our fully-manned condition all day, so I was able to get a few things done on the side. I caught up with our division's MOV (material obligation validation - making sure our parts on open jobs are still needed and current), and took care of a last minute Open Purchase request for consumables. It seemed like every time I came back to Sonar Control there was something else I needed to do. :)

Today I managed to get some medical stuff done for an upcoming maintenance check... going into an air-pressurized Sonar Dome... last time I had blood work done, but today it was urinalysis and an EKG... the latter to make sure my heart would be able to handle the PSI change. And we haven't even done the physical yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment