Wednesday, March 3, 2010

1st Monthly Meeting: 4 Nov 2009

My first meeting in the program, we talked about Navy ethics, rank structure and recognition and advancement. But before we began, I tried to keep up with everyone else as they recited the Sailor's Creed to officially begin the meeting. Along with two other new recruits, I had to go up front and introduce myself, saying a few basic things like where I lived and had my schooling and why I was joining.

As we were working on rank recognition, a newly graduated from boot camp seaman dropped by and he was quickly ushered into the front where he was told to tell us about recruit training. He had joined because he was doing nothing else before, and became a boatswain's mate because it was the shortest school. I think he was assigned to Naval Station Everett. He seemed very lackadaisical about everything in general, saying things about how it was better to be in an easier rate so you don't have to hang out at Great Lakes for schooling, especially since things were a little backlogged and people were waiting to get into their A schools.

Because of all this, the meeting went a little longer than usual... I think it took til 1830, when we started at 1630. That also made it difficult for me because I had to get off work a little early just to make it there (and I was a minute or two late).

No comments:

Post a Comment