Monday, July 16, 2012

First Duty Day

That was Friday. We had all had long hours, Monday through Thursday, starting an hour earlier in the mornings. Except for Duty Section 2, the entire ship was put on liberty Friday as a reward for the hard work. Except for the officers and chiefs who were supposed to be there in the morning for a detailed inspection of the ship by the CO (because of a recent incident). Having to stay on a liberty day wasn't as bad as it sounds, though. It was just a continuation of the week, and I was able to help out Ms. Taylor and Senior Chief with the finishing touches to our spaces before the CO came through. I made myself scarce when he did... and it didn't take too long.

As for the Duty Section, I really liked Senior Chief (different from my LCPO), although he is a little intimidating. He signed me up for a UI (under instruction) watch (Messenger of the Watch), and that I stood for three hours, getting most of my PQS taken care of. GM2 was the person standing it, but the OOD (officer of the deck) and the POOW (petty officer of the watch) QM2 were also very helpful. They even had me make my first announcement over the 1MC (general announcing system). A bit later the duty section conducted a wash-down of the weather decks with fresh water... after that they needed me to help sweep the water over the side.

There was a brief training time on the mess decks with our LT. He went over the "vehicle inspection team"... the group that responds at the pier's gate when a civilian vehicle needs to come onto it. I had seen something of it while working on my sentry NKOs earlier in the week, but it was nice to get some particulars about it. Can't wait until everything I need for all these jobs is under my belt.

I observed Colors/sunset with GM2 on the forecastle, but I had to do so without my cover. The rover had just taking me along the port side to show me where the switches were for ship's lights, and as I walked by the exhaust (some sort of strong blowing air), my cover flew off my head and into the water below us, lost forever. I made Senior Chief laugh though, as he was also there and asked where my cover was. They told me that everyone loses a cover sometime... so I don't feel too bad about it.

It wasn't too bad staying on the ship either... there was plenty of reception topside to talk to my hubby before bed, and I was able to do all my laundry. Next morning I got up early to observe sunrise with QM2, and she went over what flags had to be raised and where the other light switches were... my first trip to the bridge! We had "sweepers" a bit early amidships and on the boat decks and missile decks, but I was already there from getting PQS sign-. Soon after that, we had turnover in one of the helo hangers (Senior told us all "good job", and mentioned "enthusiastic UIs"... Merrill gave me a high-five. :) We were let go a little later, after I got a little training on some SONAR equipment with STG3, and then I observed 0800 Colors with GM2, watching from the open helo hanger with Ms. Pham. I know it may sound silly, but my heart swelled with pride as the colors went up and the anthem played. I guess I'm sentimental. And then I got off the ship as fast as I could for two days of regular weekend liberty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment