Friday, July 13, 2012

On a Ship and... Filming!

What I forgot to mention in my extreme vague-ness of the last post was the extraordinary third day I had aboard ship (June 27). Don't know if you recall, but a few years ago (has it been that long already? how time flies!), a Captain Phillips was rescued from Somali pirates by the USS Bainbridge and a Navy SEAL team. For a few weeks before I reported, the Truxtun was being used by Hollywood to film the upcoming movie about the incident, starring Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips.

My extraordinary day started out very usual, finishing up as much checking-in paperwork as I could. By lunch my sponsor and I had done all we could do for the day, so when the Command Master Chief came around the mess deck, asking if anyone was available for a scene being shot in the starboard helo hanger, I volunteered. I had about an hour to change into coveralls (with a white undershirt instead of the modern day blue) and find the helo hanger for the first time.

It was exciting at first, watching the film crew go here and there and see the big camera and just be in a new place on the ship and work with a few other shipmates I had never met. But after the sixth take, it grew to be a bit of an old hat (although I wasn't wearing my ball cap, since it said Truxtun, not Bainbridge). :)

The six or seven of us regular Sailors were the background action of a generic scene (that I heard is near the climax of the film) where the SEAL team (all very hunky, Hollywood guys) walk across the helo deck with their equipment and hold a little conference. Us Sailors are putting away gear in the background... nets, helmets and long chains used to tie down helicopters. Don't know how believable that is, since there is no helicopter, but I suppose the general public won't know the difference.

Since this was the next to last day of filming (before we went out to sea), the studio gave a fantastic catered dinner for the entire crew on the pier. Seared Ahi tuna, steaks, grilled chicken, salads, fruits, etc., and the producer and director were there to give us a thank-you speech. So much food! I didn't have time to finish it before they wanted our little group back on board to finish the shoot. But between the eating and speeches, Tom Hanks arrived on the pier to take divisional pictures with us... and I got to stand right next to him during mine! Because of that, I was able to get an autograph on my Sleepless in Seattle DVD before his manager brushed us all away.

What a way to start out on a ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment