Friday, October 5, 2012

Water, Heads, Rain, Fish & Chaplains

Well, yesterday and today were a little wild. Thursday began normally enough... Until the sewage backed up onto the mess decks and galley again (first time in a week or so, actually). So we shut off the dishwasher, and I was out of a job. During quarters we found out that we had a mandatory flu shot at 0800. After the shot, we did some sweepers and took out some trash, but then I took a wonderful nap in the lounge because there wasn't anything else. That was, of course, until lunch, when I had to get the washer up to speed post haste. So that was hot and heavy. Chief even came in, checked the temp (88 deg. F) and told me to go get a drink of water.

Right afterwords I got off since it was my early day. Walked to the parking lot in uniform just as it was starting to rain. In seconds it was pouring. I was on my way to the Lay Leader training at 1400 on Naval Station Mayport. Borrowed the restricted FSA's black Mustang, and got there just in time. This training is one of the three things a Sailor needs to become an official religious leader on their ship. The other two are letters from our church confirming the tradition you say you belong to and also a letter from the CO at the end, confirming it. It was nice to get the first step accomplished, and get to know exactly what I'd be doing. Main responsibilities (while underway) include conducting services (with only a devotional... no sermons), leading the evening prayer over the 1MC (general announcing), organizing Bible studies, and providing general encouragement.

When I got back, the water was off yet again. But on the way home I stopped by Target for some steel spoons (the ship is running dreadfully low because people take them... and I have to work harder to get the few we have out on the line), and got Arbys in the drive-through... With the two-hour training, I didn't get back to the barge until 1800. Somebody else was waiting to use it. :) It started pouring soon after, so I went fishing for a while, until I caught two little trout, lost my bait,and ended up breaking the tip of my $8 rod trying to get it unstuck from a rope in the water.

Today we had more trouble with the water, so I was bored out of my mind whenever we were not doing stores onload or breakouts. They even delayed quarters by ten minutes because of the food truck that came. It was mostly frozen meat... which was very heavy, especially down the skinny, steep ladders. After breakouts for tomorrow, a milk truck arrived with fifteen, five-gallon boxes. Those also had to go down into the refer. Other than all that, I took a couple nice long naps between meals, even dreaming during them. Dinner tonight seemed to take forever, but here I am, resting in my rack, finally. I made it through another day. Hopefully we will get the use of our heads back tomorrow. Kind of odd, having to use a trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment