Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day At Rest

It was like a weekend in the middle of the week.

The duty driver from the Antietam was here before muster this morning, but inexplicably, they cancelled the working party. I am a little sad... :) My new working party is also off base, but the one guy who had been on it before said that they haven't come to pick them up in the last three weeks. Gosh.

Today was the base-wide blood drive, so I did that instead. A pint was drawn just before 0900 with ease. I went back to my room afterwords to rest, and ended up finishing the book I started on watch (Monday)... "Life in Mr. Lincoln's Navy". It's all about the enlisted experience during the Civil War... enlisting, daily life (and improvements to it), food, entertainment, weapons, medicine, machinery... I didn't know the Union had 62 ironclads by the end of the war... and what life was like on them. It was very interesting to read, and went by rather quickly.

After three weeks working on the ship, this is exactly what I needed. I also got an hour's nap in after lunch... and watched a couple movies. Here's the shirt I got for donating:


It's a little hard to read at first glance: "I BLEED RED, WHITE & BLUE. Support our troops by giving blood. ASBP (Armed Services Blood Program)


It was an honor to give for the troops. I took the arm wrap and gauze off after 5 hours, but it still needed a band-aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment