Friday, August 26, 2011

Craziness

I don't know about the Navy today... Friday is on hold... indefinitely. Surprise base-wide room inspections. And so far they're still on the 3rd floor (out of 4). And I thought I didn't like the TSA at airports.

Today started just fine. Reported for Duty Driver muster early at 0620. Had a little breakfast after that: cereal, milk, yogurt, water. Then I changed into the PT uniform, ran a mile-and-a-half on the PRT route along the waterfront park in Liberty Station. Came back, caught my breath in my room, reading for almost an hour, then went outside to go participate in MWR's PRT challenge. But then my phone rang with a voicemail, saying there was a General Military Training in Bldg. 52, starting 15 minutes ago. So I ran to Bldg. 52 instead.

That was the beginning of the crazy. It took quite a while, and was way too long. Even a higher ranking individual left because it was driving them nuts. "Here's how to stay safe while having fun: (example:) wear knee & elbow pads while playing basketball". I wonder who wrote these slides. After it finally ended, everyone was told to form up to march back to wherever. I was still in PT gear, so I couldn't do that. I ran back to the barracks, and took a wonderfully nice shower. Went back to my room, changed into a new set of NWU's in order to check back for driving. But when I opened the door, there was my roommate standing outside. And then I noticed there were a lot of people standing by their doors. And a 1st class, who was soon telling me to stand by mine. I thought it was her class having a room inspection at first, but soon I learned it was the whole base.

The inspection didn't take too long though. The chief who did our's was very nice. I didn't recognize any of the people doing the inspections, so I figured they must have come from another base. And I was right. When we were allowed to hang out on the Red Deck, I saw the CMC from TSC on 32nd street, accompanied by our OIC and a female MA.

We were soon allowed to go get lunch in shifts. My deck is the first deck, and we were done and let go first (and told to immediately return). It feels like we're on lock-down, or something. How crazy.

The inspecting Chief told Hathaway and I that our room was one of the best... that makes me afraid for what we'll all have to endure from our Chief later on. That's the nasty thing about a big organization like the Navy. People who screw up, screw up life for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment