Saturday, August 27, 2011

Side Notes

Yesterday, right after I finished the last post, the MA came in and told us to evacuate the building... I found out from folks talking as we stood around on the baseball outfield that all they found was a hollowed-out grenade... a paperweight. They sealed off the building and we couldn't get back into our rooms until 1530. Thankfully, a lot of that time they let us sit in the cool of the galley instead of letting us sweat in the hot sun of the ball field. Longest Friday ever.

Today I had to get up early because DC1 wanted all the volunteers for the "Clean Sweep" of San Diego bay to meet and leave at 0600 this morning. We did, and we got there very early. They had water and Krispy Kreme donuts for us... and after we met the CO of 32nd St. Naval Station, who was heading this particular project, we got wet and dirty removing trash from the creek that flows into the bay near that base. I pulled out a shopping cart, dug out a mostly-buried bucket, and found lots and lots of little bits of trash (mostly bottle caps and Styrofoam). We worked until 1000, then went to the BBQ at the Marina Bay View Park a few miles south with the same 11 people in the van from my base. Fun morning, but I was so tired when we returned... I slept for 4 hours straight when I crashed on my bed.

And because of the inspection yesterday, and especially the chief telling us we wouldn't have half as much room on a ship, I decided to go through everything and straighten it up, even getting rid of some stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment