Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Before The Break

I don't know why I suddenly thought of escaping prison after coming up with that title... :)

Well, on Monday it was PT on your own again, even though STG1 wanted to play volleyball... practically half the class was supposed to be doing PO Indoc. So I did benching with free weights and then a 1.5 mile jog on the elliptical.

We did labs for the Torpedo segment all during class that day. Much less stressful than the last. We all had 100's. On Tuesday after the new lecture we went over, we found out our new standings. I'm now 3rd by .19%, at a 95.26%. Somebody else got a 100 this time. I was able to finish my notes from the first lecture (started Monday, since I was so bored) of 86 slides. There are 4 more, one over a 100 slides, and one with 90 or so... we'll see how this next test goes... and how long we're going to stay in class today before we break for Thanksgiving's 4-day weekend.

Yesterday was also my duty day. STG1 Upchurch had originally had me down for the 12-17, but obviously, I couldn't do that. I told him right away last week, though, so he switched me for the 07-12 Bldg. 52 access (0600-1130). It meant that I'd get the watch out of the way first thing, and that I didn't need to wake up early more than usual, since it landed on a Tuesday. I'd have to miss Quarters... darn. :)

And it went rather well. I had breakfast quick before driving over there, and I was given a chow-relief anyway! Finally! I've done it before where there was no relief and no way to have breakfast either. So I took the time to sit down at the galley and have 2 mugs of hot chocolate and a cup of yogurt. Exactly what I wanted at the time... and for a cheaper price than a single cup at the "Jumpin' Java" stand by the NEX mini mart.

What made everything bearable during the watch was a change-of-command ceremony for the Mobile Mine Warfare Unit. Lots of Chiefs and Officers running around. I had to stare at a bunch of sandwiches, fruit & veggies on tables across the lobby from me, but I also had something to listen to and watch, with people getting ready for it, with the arrival of the CO's, and with the door opened while it was going on. Had to keep the doors and the people passing through quiet, but that was much better than being bored out of my mind. The TSC color guard did very well too. They looked sharp in their white leggings and cords, and reminded me of the one I did in March.

I was relieved on time, had a plate of sandwiches for a very quick lunch, bought a couple snacks at the NEX, and had plenty of time to get to class. Almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment