Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Retired, Finally.

I'm a big fan of Days Inn... the Norman, OK branch is especially dear to me. I even told them so after offering to replace their battered and faded Old Glory. It was in such a state... pink, white and sky blue. And there were literally pieces missing from the torn ends.

I stayed and helped the man take it down and put the new one up, the one that I had purchased from the NEX. I didn't want to trust an establishment like that with retiring an old flag, so I asked to take it home myself where I could fold it properly and make sure it gets burned in honor. I was afraid they'd throw it in the trash. The clips were so rusty and stiff, it required a pliers to open and close them.

Apparently, they had been receiving several complaints from people... and no wonder: much of their business is from families coming to their son's Marine boot camp graduation. MCRD is only a few blocks from my house, and Days Inn is less than a ten-minute walk from my door. They had also been flying the Corps's flag, and that was just as pink... with one big tear on the end. At my suggestion, they let me take that one too. I can guarantee that no one related to the Marine family would be impressed with such a display. In that situation, better none. I hope they buy a new one though. It bothered me because I pass it all the time, and my eyes are naturally drawn to flags. There was nothing else to be done.









Tonight is also my one-year anniversary of starting Battle Stations. I should log what I have written in my training guide sometime soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment