Monday, January 9, 2012

First Day of Maintenance Class

I woke up one minute before 0600 this morning with my reminder from my calendar on my phone telling me that duty section muster was in a half hour. Yikes! I flew out of bed with the same speed as Pa-Pa in the Night Before Christmas. Made it to the Red Deck in 16 minutes flat... and before anyone else. Whew.

For the first time in months, I ate breakfast at the galley, having my old regular two eggs over hard on toast, along with milk and hot chocolate. By 0715, there were at least fifty students outside the quarterdeck with notebooks in hand. Twenty-four were for the two sections of A(v)15 maintenance. An STG1 Fletcher came out to grab us right away. We've got a small, brand new classroom on the third deck. He and an STG1 Gonzales are to be our instructors. They seemed very competent and professional, and I'm excited for the next four months. We're going to learn a lot about computers and programming... exactly one of the reasons why I joined. Not only that, but they say they're going to do regular PT with us, three times a week! And STG1 Fletcher told me he was going to make me class leader (for my first time in four classes).

We were let go at 1100, even though our regular schedule is 0500-1200. That will make for lots of early mornings, but at least we'll be done before lunch every day. Since today is my duty day, I have to hang out until the 1530 muster. So I worked out for a half-hour on the rowing machine, rowing 6,100 meters. Then it was a burger with a salad and a bowl of chili... and then trying to figure out flights and chits for this weekend. And now there's only 15 minutes until muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment