Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Quick Day, Relatively


Didn't have to be anywhere until 0700 today... there was a special command workout! For the first time, I participated in a command-led workout, with a few of the senior chiefs leading us. It was called "Sweat-X", which was really just a series of circuits. There were stations set up around the indoor basketball and volleyball courts. We first did some new kinds of stretch/exercises, then did a formation run for a 3/4 mile lap around the base "to warm up". A few people dropped out, which was pretty sad, but I kept up with the group the whole time, only replying the cadence for the first half. ;)

Then we did the circuits in the gym for about a minute and a half at each station. I started with the barbells, kneeling on a mat, then rolling the barbell out in front for a tough abdominal workout; then "superman's": lying on a mat on my tummy with my arms and legs off the ground; then modified planks: raising an arm while on the feet and hands; then pushups; then lunges; then hopscotch with a rope ladder; then jump rope; then flipping large tires half-way down the court; then sprints across the whole court. And then formation stretching, and we were out the door a bit after 0800. To break, Senior Chief Milam called everyone in for a brief talk, then had me! lead everyone in a cry of "Honor, Courage, Commitment!"

Class was from 0900-1115 or so... we finished up the 3M lecture (material maintenance management), and I did a few more slides of notes from yesterday when we were on break, along with turning in the out-of-bounds chit to TSC for final approval.

Had lunch break before we had to be back at 1300 for our required extra study this week. Walked my stuff back to my car so I could simply split after mando, then kept walking to Liberty Station for food. Ended up getting a $5 chicken soup at the little Mexican restaurant out front. It was a special advertised on the front door on a piece of paper. Had chips & salsa while waiting, then was dumbfounded when it arrived... with a leg and another piece cooked whole (skinless) in it. But it was so good! Hope I can get it there again sometime.

I got back before I needed to be, so I picked up some of the long-lying trash in the overflow parking lot before returning to get the books and the instructor to open the door for us (as I'm class leader). I found 3 dimes and a quarter while doing it! Hey, it pays! :) Mando, itself, was pretty much a waste, as we don't have access to the lectures. A lot more conversation that I wish I didn't hear, but at least it was only an hour. Got home about 1430, and then finally shined my boots again... they look great now! Then I laid down on my bed with my newly arrived Husky blanket from a package from Mom & Dad and didn't get up for another 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment