Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Running Around

Tuesday was painful. Only had about 3+ hours sleep after getting back from the airport. And it happened to be my Duty Day. I arrived in plenty of time to check the watch-bill (that I forgot to sign on Friday), initial for my 21-23 bldg 51 access watch, and then realize they weren't going to open up the gym on time for me to stow my bag in my locker. Back across the bridge to my car in overflow and back, and up the 3 flights of stairs to the classroom on time. Whew.

Except the guy with the key to the classroom wasn't there... so STG1 had us wait in the student lounge for 15 minutes, and if he hadn't come for us, to post until the 0730 all-hands muster out front of bldg. 11, instead of behind it for Quarters (as usual, when coming back from a 3-day weekend). In all the excitement of the weekend, I had forgotten there was an NSU (service uniform) inspection directly after that. So this extra time allowed me to go back home, make breakfast, and grab my uniform and a Navy book. So then it was time for the 0630 duty section muster, and that was quick. But when I got to the gym, I realized I had forgotten a white t-shirt! Gahh! Checked the little NEX, but they only had packs of five. So I walked over to the bigger NEX on Rosecrans (across the bridge, past overflow parking). Thankfully, the lady let me in ten minutes before they opened (0700), but I was only to find out that they had the same thing. I bought the five, returned, changed, and showed up for the all-hands muster at the right time in the right uniform.

As class leader, I was inspected first and alone, standing in front of the two ranks of five. STG1 wanted a proper inspection and taught me to salute and say "Good morning, Petty Officer. Maintenance Class 12010 standing by, ready for inspection." I then walked beside him and called out the commands for "one pace, forward march" and "uncover...two", when he inspected everyone's backsides and haircuts. He gave us all "Excellents", but there were a few hits. One guy's belt was way out of place and another had spots from mud splashes on the backs of his trousers. Later, in class, STG1 gave us a few pointers... he didn't want to see any more lint or hairs, and he let us know it's better not to have a watch on during inspections in the fleet... regs say they can only be silver or black and not "faddish"... which can be in the eye of the beholder, and especially so if it is a Chief or Officer conducting it.

For class (the only calm, normal part of the day), we finished up the hardware section by doing a little lab focusing on changing out the CMOS battery. Easy day. I caught up a bunch on taking notes. Since we had no lecture, STG1 gave us the day off from mando. I returned home to unpack myself and eat a little bit of snacks for lunch. Stayed in uniform though, because I had to return for the 1530 duty section muster where I was reminded by Chief that he wanted copies of my duty-swap chits for next month the next morning. And then there was an incredibly random and boring "training" on FPCONs (force protection conditions). We were let go around 1600.

I brought a Chipotle burrito home for dinner, then crashed on my bed for a couple hours. Woke up just in time to get ready to relieve Baldwin as the access watch for 51... it's been months since I've stood it. I took along "Brave Ship, Brave Men" (which I started before joining the Navy) to keep me company. And between putting it down every few seconds for all the people going in and out (especially for the phase I & II muster), I finished a long chapter or two. My rover watch seemed to be very dejected about his job (walking the hallways), but he reported just often enough. Poor guy... I was relieved five minutes early by Patterson... hope his relief was on the way. So it was back to bed for another 3 hours or so before PT at 0500 the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment